- The expected updates following 2006 R2 SP1 that were supposed to be in 2009 R2 will probably be delivered later due to the change in scope. This is a little painful for some people waiting for those hotfixes and improvements that only currently exist in 2006 R2 SP1.
- Host Integration Server 2009 R2 release will also be renamed (?)
- There are new features (perhaps some of the scope change) now being included in the 2010 release that had not been discussed previously:
- Updated adapters for SAP 7, Oracle eBusiness Suite 12.1, SharePoint 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2
- Simplified management through single dashboard which enables IT Pros to backup and restore BizTalk configuration
It does seem exciting to see adapter upgrades for SQL 2008 R2 and a better backup and restore story for BizTalk. Both of these new capabilities could be a positive result of the aggregation of product team resources between BizTalk and SQL Server. I would stay tuned – the BizTalk roadmap page (http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk/en/us/roadmap.aspx) has not been updated at the time of this posting with the new branding so I would expect the full scope change to be still under discussion.