Today I heard that BizTalk 2009 R2 will be changing names and release features. I had just started to appreciate the regular R2 release with BizTalk 2006 R2 and then BizTalk 2009 R2. The changes in scope for the 2009 R2 release grew large enough to require renaming to a full version release. Here are a couple good posts on this(http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5656, http://blogs.msdn.com/johnbreakwell/archive/2010/03/23/techready-biztalk-server-2009-r2-renamed-to-biztalk-server-2010.aspx.
There are a couple of impacts I can see from such a change:
- The expected updates following 2006 R2 SP1 that were supposed to be in 2009 R2 will probably be delivered later due to the change in scope. This is a little painful for some people waiting for those hotfixes and improvements that only currently exist in 2006 R2 SP1.
- Host Integration Server 2009 R2 release will also be renamed (?)
- There are new features (perhaps some of the scope change) now being included in the 2010 release that had not been discussed previously:
- Updated adapters for SAP 7, Oracle eBusiness Suite 12.1, SharePoint 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2
- Simplified management through single dashboard which enables IT Pros to backup and restore BizTalk configuration
It does seem exciting to see adapter upgrades for SQL 2008 R2 and a better backup and restore story for BizTalk. Both of these new capabilities could be a positive result of the aggregation of product team resources between BizTalk and SQL Server. I would stay tuned – the BizTalk roadmap page (http://www.microsoft.com/biztalk/en/us/roadmap.aspx) has not been updated at the time of this posting with the new branding so I would expect the full scope change to be still under discussion.
Hi Ben,Do you have any information about the release date of BTS 2010?ThanksAbdul Rafayhttp://abdulrafaysbiztalk.wordpress.com